Saturday, October 3, 2009

Autumn is Truly Here

The last couple of days definitely belong to Autumn. She's firmly grasped the trees and garden in her artistic hand. Every thing's painted in gorgeous colours of reds, yellows, golds and greens. I so enjoy the smell and sights of this season although it is slightly touched with melancholy these past 2 years. I wish there was some way to have the colours without the cold and frost. My garden has had the biscuit, although in all fairness, it wasn't a good summer for my garden. It was put in late and then neglected. We had a good month where we were really diligent, but then I became tired and apathetic, overwhelmed by projects in the house and the garden suffered. So today we harvested the last of the potatoes, dug up the sad little beets and carrots and I weeded the strawberries. Our rototiller died so it was a bit of a jungle I had to work my way through and I've only made it about 6 feet in, but I'll keep working at it.
This week has been full of feast days, Michaelmas (Angel food cake), St. Therese (cupcakes) and Guardian Angels (too tired to do anything, but next year I want to do angel hair pasta and wings with angel cookies HT to Minnesota Mom and Bless Us O Lord). October is so rich in feast days and instead of planning grandiose things and doing nothing, I'm focusing on simple things like reading about the saint and a theme in the meal. This seems doable at this stage in my pregnancy. There are many things that I have to limit myself on and set priorities. I think that I am getting better at this.
Mark is still scooching, although the last 2 days we've caught him standing in the middle of the floor. He's starting to sign (all food related). He's very verbal, although there's very little that's discernible. He says "hi", "thank you", "daddy", "Becca"? All in all he's very joyful. He has up to 6 teeth now and they're popping in like popcorn.
And finally we've been waiting to run out of propane so that Justin can change something on the tank. Unfortunately it happened last night, a Friday. No gas delivery until Monday and it is chilly. And there's not hot water. It is certainly making me grateful for running water. I don't have to haul it, only heat it. I'm also grateful for my dishwasher, my shower and my washer. And it goes without saying that I'm grateful for my husband and my children, and the generosity of a gracious God.

No comments: